Sunday 20 July 2014

Sunshine


If you think I am like the sun
perhaps you have a point.
Impotent and unable
to change trajectory - and
it's like I've always been here.
Since long before anyone
felt the heat of my fire.

If you say I'm like the sun
you're right. I burn for you.
Even as I age and die.
Even as the earth turns away her face
and when night falls I just burn elsewhere
but no less fierce.
I sometimes wonder; was I ever alight
if no-one felt my warmth at their back.

If I am like the sun I do not choose
to blaze, here, alone in vast emptiness.
It just is. Has always been and will be
and I ask nothing. And I want nothing
but to smile, cast my light your way
and know your feet will be warm
and your shadow chased away.

If you think me like the sun, then I endure
exquisite agony as I incinerate.
No reprieve, were I even wanting.
My light is everywhere. My fire, infinite
and I ask nothing, want nothing
but to consume every cinder
until galaxies collide,
the stars turn to black
and all is asleep,
forever dreaming of my love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paint Poem

  Day Thirty I like a poem because it's not like a painting. Because I'll confidently cradle something stainless;  hold the exceptio...